When it comes to family picture day, a lot of stress is typically associated with days leading up to the session. I’m here to help you relax and be prepared all at the same time. Here are some tips:
- Find the outfits you want everyone to wear a month in advance and set them aside somewhere safe. Then try them on a week ahead of time to ensure everything still fits comfortably and that you didn’t miss any stains or holes that you couldn’t see until they were being worn. Wardrobe stress is the easiest thing to eliminate, just plan ahead.
- As soon as your family changes out of their photo attire, make sure it is clean and pressed to be ready for the big day. Set the clothes together (sorted by person) and place them somewhere free from harm and dirt. Be sure to tell everyone that these are picture clothes and not to be worn until picture day. This will help to be sure that no articles of clothing go missing. Don’t forget about shoes, jewelry, belts, and other accessories.
- About three to four days prior to the session, start talking with your husband and kids about the session and what will happen and how they should behave. I find that a lot of tension comes from the family members that aren’t on board with having their photo taken. If you plan to use a bribe, now is a good time to set that in place (remember that bribes work for adults too!). Continue to talk to your children daily to prepare them for the session, talk it up about how fun it will be and that they will be in your new “Art” on the wall.
- Two days prior to the session, pack a bag of everything you will need on picture day – snacks, props, bribery, etc. and put it somewhere you can grab it and go. Be sure to include wipes in case things get messy, an extra hairbrush, and other “emergency” items, such as bobby pins and a backup lipstick.
- On the day of the session, make sure everyone is well fed, but not overfed. We don’t want sick little tummies from overeating, but we don’t want anyone getting “hangry” (angry because they are so hungry) either. Do not get your family dressed in their photo clothes until after they have eaten and brushed their teeth. This will prevent spills and other messy accidents.
- If you have young children, avoid any colored drinks the day of the session until after we are finished. Also, get them to wear a bib or drop cloth if they drink anything on the way to the session to save their shirts from wet spots or stains.
- If at all possible, try to clear schedules on picture day. Too much going on just beforehand can add undue stress and make everyone feel hurried and distracted. Make a day of it!!
- Once you get to the session, try to relax. If you have set a bribe, please let me know so I can use that throughout the session if the children get restless. Reassure your family that in 45mins-1 hour it will be over. Trust your photographer- know that I will take care of things and will deliver amazing photos of your family.